Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Kimiela Isaacs a born performer

Kimiela Isaacs a born performer


Kimiela Isaacs a born performer. Born blind, Kimiela 'Candy' Isaacs has the ability to put you in a trance with her powerful voice, hitting the highest notes and displaying mastery of range and tone. "I dont see my blindness as a major setback. Even sometimes I don't remember that I'm blind," says Kimiela Isaacs.

The 21-year-old is not limited to gospel songs. "I sing inspirational songs as well, especially at weddings and concerts. My repertoire is very wide. I also sing classical, jazz and pop music, but I'm a gospel singer by profession," said Kimiela.

In addition to funerals, she has also performed at official functions like the National Prayer Breakfast.
"I am a performer. I prefer performing at weddings and official functions; funerals are too sad. When I go out to different functions to sing, I try my best to make it come across. I see myself as a minister, and when I sing I try to sing clearly so they can understand and get the message," she said. She has performed at numerous events staged by Word Time Ministries of Jamaica. Kimiela has also captured serveral Excellence Awards in the field of music at the Annual Excellence Awards presented by Word Time Ministries of Jamaica

Kimiela is qualified in art and plans to take her studies further. She recently graduated from from the Edna Manley College of Visual and Performing Arts, where she got a distinction in performance teaching.

In September 2006, she plans to start a degree in performance training at Edna Manley, as well as a course in voice and speech at the Creative Production and Training Centre. Looking even further ahead, Kimiela wants to pursue a career in voice training and journalism.

She has a pre-release of two original songs, Comfort My Child and If You Need A Friend, on air. Her mother, Diana Morrison, produced If You Need A Friend and she is also Kimiela's manager. "My mother, she's always there for me, at all times," said Isaacs.

Kimiela is also working on an album, set for release in about a year. Her mother, five brothers and one sister were there for her when she entered the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) music festival in 1997. As a first form student at Wolmer's Girls' School, she won the National Gold Award with The Country Medley. Kimiela went on to the finals, where she got a special award, as well as the scholarship to Edna Manley.

She continued entering the JCDC competition up to 2004 where she won gold medals, trophies and the 'Most Outstanding Female Soloist' in 2000 and 2002. She picked up the four-year scholarship in 1998, in second form, and went to Edna Manley part-time. Based on her performance, the scholarship was extended for another three years, and she went full-time after passing six Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) subjects.

Her development began early. "I started talking plainly from 10 months old. I started singing in church at three, and made my first public appearance at 12. I started voice training at 14 with June Thompson Lawson," said Kimiela.

She believes that success doesn't come easily. "You have to face some problems. No matter what the challenges are that you face in life, you have to move on. Life is not a crystal sphere. With God's help, you can be successful."

No comments:

Post a Comment