Friday, August 6, 2010

Canada's Lopes-Schliep takes Silver in Stockholm

Canada's Lopes-Schliep takes Silver in Stockholm


August 6, 2010

Canadian Priscilla Lopes-Schliep captured a silver medal in women's hurdles at the Stockholm Diamond League track and field meet on Friday, August 6, 2010.

Lopes-Schliep, from Whitby, Ontario, finished second in the 100-metre hurdles in a time of 12.59 seconds. Australia's Sally Pearson won gold in 12.57 while American Lolo Jones was third in 12.70.

"After my heat, my goal was to get out much faster in the final, I felt I got out better but it was at hurdle seven I felt my legs start working and I began to reel in the girls," Lopes-Schliep said in an email. "I'm very happy with a second place in such a deep field.

The result brings Lopes-Schliep within three points of Jones for the overall Diamond League hurdles result.
"This is my second fastest race of the season so things are coming together very nicely," said Lopes-Schliep.

Perdita Felicien
Perdita Felicien of Pickering, Ontario, was fifth in 12.79.


Dylan Armstrong of Kamloops, B.C., was fifth in the men's shot put with a throw of 20.61 metres. American Christian Cantwell threw 22.09 to win the gold. In other events, Darya Klishna of Russia beat a top-class field in the women's long jump with 6.78 metres. Brittney Reese of the United States was second with 6.75, and European silver medallist Naide Gomes of Portugal third with 6.72. European champion Ineta Radevica of Latvia was down in fifth, with 6.70.


American Bershawn Jackson set a new stadium record of 47.65 in the 400 hurdles. Javier Culson of Puerto Rico was a distant second in 48.50 and Angelo Taylor of the U.S. third in 49.57.

No comments:

Post a Comment