Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Jimmy Lalla’s Jump for Jesus wins song of the Year

Jimmy Lalla’s Jump for Jesus wins song of the Year


August 30, 2010


By Michael Schurton

Jimmy Lalla’s inspiring praise song, “Jump for Jesus” recently won the award for Best Caribbean/Reggae Song of the Year title at the 10th Annual En Sound Music Awards and Artiste Showcase held on Friday, August 6, 2010, at the Greater St. Matthew Baptist Church, Houston, Texas.

The Trinidad born Canadian international award winning gospel Artiste also won Best Caribbean Gospel Artist of the Year.

"I Follow the Cross" has received many accolades and music award nominations around the world since its release in 2008. Jimmy Lalla, who is a victorious heart attack and stroke survivor, is a Christian with a heart for spreading the joy of the Lord through song. This album features many genres of music from gospel to calypso that will encourage, inspire, and enlighten listeners of all ages.

“Jump for Jesus" is currently jumping off the charts and the play list of radio stations around the world. But, the song has also been jumping into the hearts, spirits and testimonies of thousands of fans.

Music award accolades and nominations are numerous and the album "I Follow the Cross" was inducted into the Library and Archives of Canada in 2008. The album has been nominated by many gospel associations. These include, Best Gospel Album of the Year, Best Classical/Traditional Song of the Year for “The Angels”. “Jump for Jesus” has also been nominated Best Calypso/Gospel Song of the Year for the upcoming 2010 Marlin’s Award. His song is also the most requested song on Spotlight on Gospel in New Jersey, Issacs 98:1 FM in Trinidad and the #1 song on Praise FM in St. Kitts.

The song was the first of thirteen songs on the Calypso and Reggae Gospel album “I Follow the Cross. “This is my first song that I wrote since my heart attacked in 2007” said Lalla. He said that he wanted people to be thankful to the Lord no matter what they are facing. "In your weakness, greatest times of need and challenges you should still rejoice to see another day. I want people to take on the spirit of praise no matter what they are facing in life. No matter how hard the road may be, no matter how tough the situation, wake up each morning and praise the Lord" Jimmy said. "I believe people can still praise God in their trails and weakness. They can rejoice for God's favour and they can jump for Jesus and praise His Holy name” said Jimmy.

Jimmy Lalla said that he received the lyrics of the song directly from the Lord. He said further that this encounter happened when he started to rejoice for God’s faithfulness towards him during his recovery in 2007.

“I felt that God wanted to hear something from me so that His people would rejoice with me for my healing and jump for Jesus in celebration for my miracle”

“I am so grateful and humbled by what God is doing in my life. Thanks to my family, friends, and fans for their prayers and support” Lalla said. He also said “I am truly blessed to know that God is the light of my life. I am determined to continue to carry the cross so that the light of God can shine though me”. Asked about his reaction to receiving so many awards he said “I am amazed to see how God is igniting the fire under my feet to spread the gospel”.

Other songs on the album include; “Sweetbread,” “It’s Never Too Late”, "I come in the name", "So many times", "His name is Jesus", "Glad to meet Jesus", "So many times", "I will wait upon the Lord", "You hold me", "The Angels", "Praise the Lord", "Tell me the story" and "I follow the cross" the title track to his first album.

Jimmy Lalla has also won several international gospel awards. These include: “GMA Covenant Fan Choice Award, Gospel Album of the Year and Song of the Year (2008) and Word Time Ministries of Jamaica, Excellence in Gospel Award (2009). He was 1st Runner-up in the 2010 Calypso Gospel King of Canada. Jimmy was also recently nominated Best Calypso Recording Artist, Marlin's Award for 2010.

Jimmy is not only jumping for Jesus. In 2008 he started to run the race by His grace with Word Time Ministries of Jamaica's Sports Championships. He is a sponsor of the Annual Sports Championships for children homes and provides scholarship for aspiring athletes.

"I love athletics because it keeps you healthy and fit and helps prevents serious illnesses. Running reminds me so much of the spiritual race of life". Jimmy also noted that he admires runners as they have a special gift from God. "The gift God has given athletes shows they can call on the Lord for courage and strength so that they can run by the grace of God.

Jimmy Lalla has also had his time in playing sports while growing up his native Trinidad. "I played a bit of cricket, but I want not very good at the games he reminisces. He also did cycling and soccer. However, Jimmy says his love was track. "I love the track. I use to do a lot of long distance running to keep fit and enjoy myself". Jimmy Lalla also continues to seek out opportunities to help people in whatever way possible. His contributions also go as far as Africa where he makes donations to the Ulungu Charity in Kenya, Africa.

Jimmy Lalla says he is thankful to his family for their support" I am so blessed t have a wonderful family. I receive prayerful support and encouragement from my beautiful Jamaican wife, Diane Lalla and my three children. Jimmy is a member of the Agincourt Pentecostal Church in Toronto, Canada.

The music of Jimmy Lalla is now available on ITUNES and CDBADY.

No comments:

Post a Comment