Thursday, October 7, 2010

Jamaican Lerone Clarke wins 100m in India

Jamaican Lerone Clarke wins 100m in India

NEW DELHI, India — Jamaica's Lerone Clarke won the marquee race today at the Commonwealth Games to remain the team to beat in the men's 100 meters.


Clarke was near the front of the pack from the start at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, and crossed the line first in 10.12 seconds. "We're going to do whatever it takes to win," Clarke said of his Jamaican team.

Clarke was the only man in the final to have run under 10 seconds in the past two years.

"I know I am fast, even if Usain Bolt is not here," Clarke said. "I am still here and I am part of the Jamaican team."

Mark Lewis-Francis of England was second in 10.20 and Aaron Armstrong of Trinidad and Tobago was third in 10.24.

"This is the Commonwealth Games, this is massive," said Lewis-Francis, who said he slipped at the start of the race. "If somebody had told me 18 months ago that I would win the silver in the Commonwealth Games, I would have said 'shut up'."

In the women's 100, Sally Pearson of Australia crossed first, finishing in 11.28 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment