Thursday, October 7, 2010

Jamaica Ready for the Sprints

National 100m champion Oshane Bailey is a picture of confidence and feeling pretty good about his Commonwealth Games medal chances, after posting the fastest time going into today's semi-final at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.


Bailey, who went one-hundredth of a second outside of his personal best with a 10.12-second clocking in round two, will run in semi-final two (7:40 a.m Jamaica time) and already has one eye on the final later in the evening (9 a.m. Jamaica time).

"I feel pretty good. I told myself that I would just go out there and concentrate on executing my race and it paid off, so I'm happy," said Bailey, shortly after the race.

"I've been working on my start and it's certainly coming on now, even though I was a little nervous at the start because I was thinking too much about not false starting."

Bailey, who also won his earlier heat, in 10.36 seconds, is well aware that he is now a marked man, but is ready for his time to shine on the international level.

"I know that everyone will be coming after me due to what they have seen, but I'm ready," said Bailey.

Lerone Clarke, 10.19, is the second fastest going into the semi-finals, while Ramone McKenzie left it late, but still qualified after doing well to recover into third place in 10.40 after a terrible start.

"I'm having some issues with the start but those will be fixed by tomorrow. I think I have a pretty good chance and I'm just going to go back, rest up and come back to do my best," McKenzie said.

Females successful
Unfortunately, the females were not as successful, as only Yanique Boothe was able to advance to today's 100m semi-final, which will be contested at 7:20 a.m. Jamaica time.

Boothe, who clocked 11.97, finished as one of the fastest losers after crossing the line fourth in her heat.

Jamaica's only other competitor in the event, Shanna Thomas, 12.21, was seventh in her heat.

In throwing, Dorian Scott was impressive and looks in good shape ahead of the shot put final, which is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. today. He unloaded a 19.59-metre throw at the qualifying stage. Raymond Bryan, 16.31m, will also represent Jamaica in the finals.

Natalie Grant was in her season-best form, achieving her biggest distance this year, 60.18m, in the women's hammer throw qualification. She appears calm about her chances of a medal in today's final, which is set to begin at 7:14 a.m.

Davita Prendergast, 54.58, and Dominique Blake, 54.29, both advanced to tomorrow's (18:30) 400m semi-finals after finishing fourth and third in their heats, respectively.

In the pool, outstanding swimmer Alia Atkinson was fourth and as a result did not advance beyond the qualifying round of the women's 200m breaststroke. She clocked 2:34.32 seconds at the Dr SPM Swimming Stadium.

Victoria Ho finished way down the pool in heat two of the women's 800m freestyle, ending eighth in a time of 9:35.67 seconds and will now turn her attention to the 400m freestyle, which will be contested tomorrow.

Teammate Alexia Royal-Eatmon also failed to advance from the women's 100m butterfly field after finishing sixth in a time of 1:09.78 seconds. Royal-Eatmon is scheduled to contest the 50m backstroke today.

At the Talkatora Stadium, boxer Reece Shagourie fell to Zambia's Godfrey Mumba on points, while Jamaica's badminton team lost 5-0 to Sri Lanka in the mixed team event, which is being contested at the Siri Fort Sports Complex. Jamaica now lie at the bottom of their group after failing to win a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment